HeatherJay

Dragonfly in Amber
Diana Gabaldon
Finnikin of the Rock
Melina Marchetta
Passion and Ponies (Chocoholics, #2)
Tara Sivec

Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, Book 2)

Unholy Magic - Stacia Kane I now have a seemingly unhealthy crush on a fictional character with protruding eyebrows, scars on his face, pomade in his hair and mutton chops that would make any Elvis impersonater weak with envy.

I originally started this series right after I finished reading the Fever series.I was in a bit of a Jericho Barrons detox phase that resulted in a lot of good books being tossed aside. Luckily, I picked these up again and can say it is one of may favorite series that I have read. Chess has grown on me. In the beginning, her decisions annoyed me as ridiculously self-destructive and shallow. In Unholy Magic, parts of her past are revealed that explain her actions and why she deals with things the way that she does. She has two very different men in her life. Lex, who supplies her with drugs and a shallow "relationship" based on sex and drugs that creates an environment that helps her forget her past, temporarily, and doesn't ask anything of her emotionally. Then there is Terrible *swoon* (see above). Terrible treats her with respect and dignity and loves her for who she is, warts and all, which seems to be more than she is ready to handle. What transpires between these two during this book is heart-breaking. I never thought anyone would come close to how perfect Barrons is but Terrible gives him a run for his money. If given the opportunity I would stalk him until he had nowhere else to hide and then make him mine.

Stacia Kane has created a wonderfully dark and gritty world that I find fascinating and unique. I've already started the next one. Let's hope Chess can get her shit together long enough to fix what transpired in this one.